1 pound shrimp
2 quarts cold water
2 carrots – large dice
2 stalks celery – large dice
1 onion – quartered
2 cloves garlic – smashed
1 lemon – cut in half
1 bunch fresh parsley
1 bunch fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
Shrimp Cocktail Ingredients
1 clove garlic – crushed
1 small red onion – diced
1 bunch fresh cilantro – chopped
1 cup tomato juice
1 cup clam juice
¼ cup ketchup
2 limes – juice and zest
¼ cup horseradish
1 ripe avocado – chopped
Hot sauce and salt/pepper to taste
- Pour the water, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, lemon, parsley, thyme, and bay leaves into a large stock pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower temp to simmer and let cook for 20 minutes.
- While the liquid is boiling on the stove, rinse the shrimp with cold water and let drain.
- Place the shrimp in the liquid and turn off the heat.
- Cook the shrimp, stirring occasionally until they begin to curl and turn pink, about 3-5 minutes.
- Drain and cool the shrimp until they are cool enough to handle. Peel the shrimp and remove the vein. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In another large bowl combine garlic, red onion, cilantro, tomato juice, clam juice, ketchup, lime juice, lime zest, and horse radish.
- Add the cooked shrimp and gently fold in the avocado. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.